The 5655 three inch Image Orthicon television pick-up tube is an example of top quality television camera electronics from the late 1940s. These tubes were found in professional studio cameras in the 1950s and they replaced the Iconoscope tube cameras.
The tube was supplied in a clear plastic tube that was factory sealed.
The identification type number is etched into the glass neck.
The base, gun and electron multiplier.
The complete electron multiplier within the 51 mm diameter neck.
The external lenses focus the light through the window on the face of the tube. The scanning beam emerges from the neck. The scanning coils would fit over the silvered section of the the neck.
The electron multiplier can be seen to be a complex structure. The sections consist of a loose wire mesh with many angled dynodes behind.
The base is a hard glass disc with glass to metal seals.
A close view of a multiplier section.
The multiplier emissive surfaces. Note the substantial ceramic support rods for this precision instrument.
The connections to the multiplier section are spot welded in place. The wires are sheathed in ceramic tube insulators. The central holes in the multiplier discs allow the beam focus and acceleration anodes to be fitted.
The 14 pin B14A diheptal base.
The input window of this three inch camera tube and internal components.
The head unit containing light sensitive elements.
Aside view of the head unit cylinders and connection pins.
The pins show no signs of having been used.
The arrangement of the electrodes of the Image Orthicon.
The end window envelope is 76 mm in diameter, and excluding the B14A base pins is 370 mm tall. The neck is 51 mm in diameter and 275 mm long. The head unit is 66 mm long excluding pins.
Reference: Data-sheet. Type 5655 was first introduced in 1949. See also1949 adverts.