Many new sets at Radiolympia.
The Scophony advert.
The radio show Radiolympia in 1939 featured a large number of television sets from table top add-on vision units to the large Scophony designs.
Having geared-up for a rapid expansion of the London television service from Alexandra Palace it was a major set-back when the government closed the service on 1st September for the duration of the war. The main fear was that the 45 MHz signal would act as a homing beacon for enemy bombers.
Another factor was probably that with component shortages and the need for 45 MHz IF strips for Radar the television service to a small proportion of the public was a frivolous luxury. Radio would reach all.