The DF96 is an amplifier pentode for use in battery portable radio equipment, mainly domestic broadcast receivers.
By 1954 the transistor was the next approaching technology and Philips, who owned the UK Mullard company, responded with a range of 25 mA filament valves.
The bright anode encloses the grids but the wire s can be seen through the notches at top and bottom. The filament can also be seen as a single strand running up the centre with a tensioning spring at the top.
This valve came as one of a pair in 2011 in an iGen receiver kit. This kit operates at 12 Volts and uses an audio amplifier chip as the output stage.
The track side of the printed circuit board which is 101 mm square.
The thin glass tube envelope is 17 mm in diameter and, excluding the B7G base pins, is 47 mm tall.
References: Data-sheet. Type DF96 was first introduced in 1953. See also1953 adverts.