The RJW was made by Seddig RIW in Wurzburg Germany the equivalent EVE173 was made by Telefunken. The special four pin base has a shorter pin for the anode in our other RJW but not this exhibit. The general arrangement of connections is the same as the B4 base.
These valves were run at a specific current rather than voltage and a series current limiter was required. With Telefunken valves the iron wire resistance (Barretter) was supplied with the valve. The final digit of the serial number (usually presented as /6 etc) indicated the current.
The successful TM valve made in France and the R Type made in England were found by Germany in captured sets. The RJW was one copy but performance of these well made valves was inferior to the TM and R Type. After the war millions of R Type valves entered the general market and kick started wireless development. The German copies tended to be scrapped and are far fewer have survived.
The pinch is elaborate with four glass rods holding the supports.
The anode is a sheet of copper bend into a cylinder and held to the central glass by wire.
Most of the wires look to be made of copper. The wire holding the anode to the glass support is clearly seen.
In this closer image the tungsten filament can be seen to be held in a fold in the copper wire support. The grid is attached to a flat strip that is bent round the vertical support.
here the construction is easy to see. The centre of the anode is discoloured probably due to heat in operation.
The anode fixing wire was twisted to secure and then cut.
The base with split pins that open out to grip the holder.
The pins look to be made of brass. The anode pin is not split and has a diameter of 5 mm and a length of 19 mm.
The feint etched lettering. The serial number is 28130. Without the / is is not certain if this final digit is the current indicator.
The wide glass tube envelope is 41 mm in diameter, and excluding the base pins is 101 mm tall.
References: 1047, 3002 & G3YNH. Type RJW was first introduced in 1917.