This exhibit was almost the universal amplifier pentode of the post war era, many manufacturers made versions of this standard valve. The version shown here was made by Brimar and is labelled for commercial use.
The EF91 is a high gain, high impedance, sharp cut-off, screened pentode. It could be used from AF to VHF up to about 200 MHz and was found in large numbers in most types of electronic equipment. In radio it was used for RF and IF amplification, for oscillators and frequency multipliers.
The electrodes fill the width of the valve. The anode is formed by two rectangular plates at either side of the valve. The other two sides of the box being completely open. All three grids can be clearly seen and all three grids have separate pins, unlike so many valves that strap the suppressor grid to cathode internally. The cathode is a flattened tube, g1 is closely wound and very near the cathode. The screen grid, again of thin wire, is a flat sided helix. The final grid is placed halfway between cathode and anode and is of a much looser pitch than the other grids.
The October 1953 advert refers to an improved reliability design of the 6AM6/8D3.
Physically it is a miniature valve with the envelope having a diameter of 18 mm. Excluding the B7G base pins the valve stands 43 mm tall.
References: Data-sheet & 1040. Type 8D3 was first introduced in 1947. See also 1947 adverts.